Insurance and Payments

We accept and bill most major health insurance policies. Please be sure to contact your insurance company before your visit to discuss the details of your coverage. Your insurance company may require a referral form from your primary care doctor before authorizing you to be seen at our office.

For planned surgery, we will contact your insurance company to verify your benefits and any co-insurance payments you are required to cover on your own. A pre-surgical deposit may be required based upon these verified benefits. We will work with you to ensure that you are able to use all benefits that your health insurance covers.

Medicare

We are a participating provider for Medicare. As such, we limit our charges to the amount approved. Of this fee, Medicare pays 80% and you are responsible for the remaining 20% and any deductible you have not met. We will submit your claims for treatment directly to Medicare on your behalf. Medicare pays for all “medically necessary” services. If you have questions regarding what services are covered, please contact your Medicaid plan provider.

Payment Options

You are responsible for any deductibles, co-pays, tests, procedures, and anything not covered by your health insurance. Payment is due at the time of service. We accept:

  • Cash
  • Checks
  • Debit Cards
  • VISA
  • Mastercard
  • Discover

Patient Portal

We invite you to interact with us online through our secure patient portal. Here you can easily create an account and make payments.

Access Patient Portal

 

Questions?

If you have billing questions, please contact us during office hours at 541-774-5808.

NOTE: If you are experiencing financial difficulties, we encourage you to speak with our billing department to discuss the possibility of making monthly payments. Please understand that if multiple attempts to collect payment from you are unsuccessful, we reserve the right to turn your outstanding balance over to a collection agency.